Saturday 6 May 2017

The Singing Pennies

[I thought I had talked about 'Pennies from Heaven' on here previously, but I wasn't able to find anything in my search, so... I'm talking about it now, for possibly the second time and I just don't know how to tag things.]

On a whim this past week, I downloaded the soundtracks to the Dennis Potter's 'Pennies from Heaven' and 'The Singing Detective'. Original BBC mini-series, of course, not the American movie remakes. These soundtracks were part of about 10 albums my dad had on repeat from 1986 until he lost his tape deck (so, two years ago?) and I remember singing and dancing along with the before I ever saw either of the mini-series. (Having seen these series as a young child, I fully blame them for the reason I believe everyone should breakout in song and dance all the time.)

I don't know why they suddenly popped into my mind, or why this was the time I finally decided to download them, but I'm glad it all came together for the simple fact that it's really hard to remain angry at anything when these soundtracks are playing. Listening to these songs while working proved to be an instant stress reliever and definitely helped me keep my cool when all I wanted to do was scream.

Is that a perfect segue into posting videos of the songs? Well, it's as near as perfect as I'm going to get, so a random sampling of some of my favourite numbers.

From Pennies from Heaven:





From The Singing Detective:



I have 'Pennies from Heaven' on DVD. Might be time to get it out for another viewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment