Monday 22 May 2017

That's a Wrap

It is the end of the long weekend and the end of the 154th Victoria Highland Games and Celtic Festival.

My day of volunteering was my easiest yet as, due to reasons, there was no hurling. There was, however, further discussion about starting a GAA club in Victoria. When I think about what we're committing to doing, I get really excited... and then question my sanity.

WHAT HAVE I DONE?!?

But let's not think about that right now.

Monday is the day of the Irish camp competitions. They had two stages set up. I have a couple of the little kids and they're adorable, but I don't have time (or energy) to blur all the faces right now.


This gentleman and his wife were delightful. I was just sad that I only ever saw them together at a distance.


The grass is always greener...


"Is it step-one-two-three or one-two-three-step?" They were practising their moves, but I wasn't quick enough with my camera to catch them.


The Highland Games portion of the weekend ends with the keg toss. What's the over/under on the organisers getting the damage deposit back on this keg?




I watched the 12" and 13" bar. They keep raising the bar until only one person successfully gets it over the bar. Given the clearance they were getting on the bar where it was, I could tell it would be a long time before the competition was over.

After three days of being the sun and heat for hours upon time, I called an end to my day there in time to go see "Alien: Covenant". Sit in a dark air conditioned theatre for two hours? Yes, please!


The movie was okay. I enjoyed it but I wasn't blown away. It set up a series reboot in the way Prometheus wanted to set it up. (Which is to say that I actually want to see what happens next after this movie. After Prometheus, I didn't give two hoots if we ever got another movie in the franchise.) The scare factor seemed tame compared to previous Alien films... or it could just be that I'm getting older and not as easily taken-in by jump scares. The one thing that the movie did share with Prometheus was that Michael Fassbender was the stand-out performance.

HERE BE POSSIBLE SPOILERS. (BUT NOT IF YOU'RE READY ANYTHING ABOUT THE MOVIE.) YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

He plays two AI characters, different versions of the same prototype, yet the nuances of the two characters. Just masterfully done.

And with that, it's back to reality tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment