Wednesday 17 May 2017

Northern Ireland Movies

Today was the anniversary of the Dublin and Monaghan bombs of 1974, and I debated writing about it. At the very least, it would be another reason to explain why I hate 'Irish Car Bombs'. (Old blog for those who are new around these parts.)

But the topic is just so depressing and there's enough of that in the world right now. Why not add some laughter? The two movies below are comedies set during the Troubles.

An Everlasting Piece
Two barbers meet while cutting hair for patients at a psychiatric hospital. They become friends and because of reasons, decide to start selling toupees.


It has a cameo by Billy Connolly and one of the greatest scenes ever written about herpes.

Good Vibrations
Based on the true story of DJ Terri Hooley who opened a record shop and started a record label in Northern Ireland to support the local punk scene.


I strongly encourage you to check out either of these movies if you can. They're a reminder that even in the darkest times, we can find laughter.

(There are, of course, a myriad of depressing movies about the Troubles. Of them all, I strongly recommend Hunger about Bobby Sands and the hunger strikers in the Maze Prison.)

2 comments:

  1. I just read your post about Irish Car Bombs. I know next to nothing about Ireland so I had no idea that the drink was a reference to real events. I thought it was just a weird name someone thought of. :/ Thank you for educating me! :) P.S. - This is Clare who is also a fan of Epbot. You know me on Instagram as ClareG161.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're definitely not alone, and I'm always happy to share knowledge. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete