Thursday 31 July 2014

The Reluctant Athlete: The Re-(re-re-re-re-re-)commitment

A number of years ago, I started a weight-loss themed blog. The idea was to keep myself accountable. I had moderate success but nothing long-term. Then I moved to the new job position, and my need to get healthy completely fell by the wayside - or is it weigh-side? *insert groan here* - because work. I didn't make weight-loss a priority and stopped blogging altogether.


Noticing that my clothing has been feeling tighter, I decided it was time to make it a priority again. It wasn't just about being more consistent with my kickboxing and bootcamp attendance but also being better with my eating habits. As a person who lives alone, being smart with my eating habits has always been an area I struggled, especially once I started kickboxing and wasn't getting home until 7:30 each night. This has to change.


I needed to know my starting point if I was going to do this, so I stepped on the scale for the first time in almost two years.

Before stepping on the scale, I had a number in my head I expected to see. Boy, was I off! I knew I was higher than my previous high of 241lbs, but I honestly didn't expect to see 257lbs on the scale. I could do nothing but think to myself "I am a fucking fat sloth... except not as adorable."


This... is not acceptable. For years, I've hovered around 230lbs. Definitely overweight, I'm not denying that, but I had marginally less than 100lbs to lose. (My lowest adult weight was 135lbs. When I get there, you'll understand why I don't go lower.) Mentally, that less than 100lbs was big to me. I was fat, but I wasn't that fat!

Well, I'm that fat now.


I got on the phone with Katie and discussed what had happened. We talked about what my goals would be for the next few months, what was feasible with the work schedule I had coming up, and what my targets would be weekly, monthly, and for the end of the year.


The best part about talking this all through with Katie? She was so bloody cheerful and positive about the whole thing. It was like I had phoned Bob the Builder. Can you lose it? YES, YOU CAN! Despite my grumbles about her being too fucking happy about all this, I found myself completely convinced by the end of the phone call that I was going to succeed. If you ever need a cheerleader in your corner, she is the person to go to!

I had my first weekly weigh-in yesterday and I'm down 3lbs. I know that even the best weight loss stories are not a straight line from Point A to Point B, but I'd say I'm off to a good start.


And now I really want to watch all three seasons of Sherlock back-to-back.

4 comments:

  1. 3lbs is 3lbs! Awesome!
    I also need to work on my eating habits and resume exercise - but not running just yet because mama don't run in the summer heat. I'm thinking yoga because I really, REALLY need to de-stress. Or a class in the now air conditioned gym at the community centre.
    In the meantime, I'm going to consider placing a severed head in my fridge to put me off eating. Your blog has inspired me! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't run in the heat either :D
      Perhaps it's time to resurrect G4... again. Or some more old-timey photos?

      Delete
  2. Old-timey photos! Should we make a date? A year from now? It will be our own version of An Affair to Remember or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old-timey photos a year from now in Rome! Wait, what? ;)
      Old-timey photos next summer sounds like a great plan :D

      Delete